Irish Stew, Just Like My Granny Made It.
This was one of my granny’s favourite dishes that was passed down to all of the family. My mum and dad made this for us most weeks growing up and it brings back memories of stealing little pieces of raw carrot to snack on before they go in the pot. The below recipe is perfect for a family of five.
- 1/2 lb stewing beef pieces
- 1 bag of potatoes
- I large or 2 small onions
- 5 large carrots
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper
- Brown steak on a pan.
- Add to a large pot.
- Chop onion, dice the carrots, peel and cut potatoes into large chunks.
- Add to the large pot.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add one vegetable stock cube.
- Cover in cold water, bring to boil.
- Then turn down and put on a low boil for around an hour.
- Turn down further on a low heat and place on a soft rolling bowl for 30mins.
- Taste and season to suit your personal taste.
Serve in a large and wide bowl and garnish with some fresh parsley. I always pop some brown sauce on the side too for an extra kick.
It’s also nicer made the day before and reheated…. so if there are leftovers they will taste even better the following day.
Hope you enjoy this family favourite! – Siún and all of the family.